I am Dorji
Tshering a student of BBA (entrepreneurship) from Gaeddu College of Business Studies,
Royal University of Bhutan and an entrepreneur from Bhutan. I come from
Gyalgong, a remote place with no road, electricity, and telephone line
connectivity. However, the free education policy of Bhutan has made all the
difference and I am no longer a resident of remote area. My zeal together with
the government’s education policy has paved my way of success and to pursue
further my dreams aligned with my mission to establish a market access for a
common man from Bhutan. Bhutan is a small country in the Himalaya’s where our fore
fathers has gifted us with pristine environment and better known having become
a subject of curiosity for way in which our development process in the last
three and half decades has been guided by the philosophy of Gross National
Happiness (GNH). GNH is based on believe that the purpose of development
and the role of the state is to create conditions within which people can
pursue and find what they aspire for most in life happiness.It is holistic
development paradigm to make human society resilient. It motivate an individual
society to consciously balance material wants with spiritual growth wherein the
needs of the body and those of mind are addressed in equal measure within a
stable and sustainable environment business. So, keeping this philosophy in my
mind, Dorjee Souvenir Shop, Environment friendly business has been
established. With the
sole objectives of helping others and to gain experience in my life, I decided
to be an entrepreneur. Starting and maintaining business at my own and meeting
the challenge of unemployment amongst the youths of Bhutan that has gained the
highest attention of the Government was not easy.I always
had social mandate of my life to help others in my own little ways. The bitter
flashbacks of early days in my schools made me to emerge as a young
entrepreneur in the college. I cannot imagine me walking 5 hours on daily basis
to reach to school for my primary education. Such hardships and experiences
only dictated me to look into the possibilities of making life, hereon, better
for myself and for others. To become an entrepreneur
is not only for making profit but also to help and support society at large by
providing what is meaningful to the societal needs along with the philosophy of
GNH. Therefore, I chose to become an
entrepreneur in making it happen.Dorjee
Souvenir Shop was established on 13th March 2015 and formally
incorporated on 19th August 2015. To preserve our culture and
identity, Dorjee Souvenir Shop has been come up with an idea of supplying
beautiful varieties of souvenir items like Gifts, Bhutanese Indigenous
Handicrafts and label printed items.
Beside the souvenir items I have observed that students had been facing several problems with
regards to printing and photo copy as It was mandatory for the students to
submit minimum of five print outs in a week for assignments, case study,
business plan, reports and projects to their respective mentors and thus an urgent
need for printing and photo copying facilities in the college. So I added the
provisioning of Printing and Photo Copying facilities at my small shop in the
campus of my college which was proved to be beneficial not only to the students
but also a boon for the community around. Gradually,
I started looking at myself as a successful entrepreneur down the line ten
years from now with the following Vision, Mission and Objectives. Vision: To
provide a eco-friendly services and to meet the day to requirements of the
people.
Mission: To capture the market access through preservation of
culture, pristine environment and customer friendly service by 2030
Objectives
1.To create employment opportunities
1.To create employment opportunities
2.To
create learning platform for the youths
3.To
make availability of products and quality services for the people of Bhutan
4.To
preserve culture
I
identified the need of the villagers which in turn and opportunity for me to
open up a General shop in remote area where people use to travel three days to
buy one kilogram of salt. However, the financial challenges where there and I
was also challenged by time management as I was to look after business together
with my continuing education.Besides, another
challenge was to maintain the link of supply chain and the logistic
requirements owing to the fact that shop was to be operated in remotest area.
However, I did not give up and I continued with endeavor having taken small
support from the local financer, family and friends. I said my priorities and
allocated my time accordingly to operate business and study. I made proper
notification the business hours and availability of goods in the stock. For the
logistic support I tied up my business purchases with the local transporter on
fort nightly basis. In order to utilize my time while being in the
college campus and having noticed several
problems regarding the telecommunications network in the college, I thought of extending my business
into communication segment. I started working as Tashi Cell Agent
(a private telecommunication agent dealing with mobile SIM cards, data cards,
memory card, hand set phones, net connection, etc). The challenge I had while
starting Tashi Cell agent was to get the approval from college management and
support from the Tashi Cell Company. However, I convinced college management
teams and Tashi Cell Company in terms of benefit to the student and community
at large. My initiative not only addressed the issue of net work problems but
also gave the community an alternative for enhanced telecommunication services.
The glimpse of business that I have carried out so far can be obtained
from the financial statement and the growth as mentioned below.
THANK YOU
x
No comments:
Post a Comment